Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscars

Yesterday Dan & I went to Boise to pick up some inventory for the theater. After we got home I tried my best to watch the Oscars but kept getting distracted by my to-do's.  Today, I have been catching up with the awards and checking out photos of all the pretty dresses. Cate Blanchett looked like a fruit platter, while I think Anne Hathaway was stunning in each gown she wore (even the tux- but only  because of the shoes). I wish I would have watched the awards show in its entirety, as it always gives me a feeling of pride about this amazing industry that the Eltrym is a part of. I love this snippets they include about people who have devoted their lives to motion pictures, and the tribute they give to those who have passed. A great number of people are involved in getting films onto our screens each week, and each one of them is just as important as the big-name actor in the leading role.

I have to say, I could handle fewer musical interludes, especially those featuring Celine Dion. At least I can mute her. I know that she is incredibly talented, but something about her causes me to want less sound and more silence.

I knew that "The King's Speech" would win best picture and that Colin Firth would win Best Actor. Colin Firth's performance was truly memorable.  I am disappointed that "Inception" didn't win Best Original Screenplay.  Original ideas in mainstream film are so rare, that when "Inception" was released last summer, I was practically salivating waiting for it to arrive. My staff and I previewed it the night before the release, and I remember being glued to my chair and unwilling to go into the booth to adjust the volume.  Even though it wasn't the best film I have ever seen, it was still a great film and so refreshingly original.

I now have a renewed interest in watching "127 Hours," but for once, I don't want to see it here at the theater. I need to watch it on a small TV set, so I can pause it when I start to feel nauseous.  I have watched several interviews of Aron Ralston, and boy does his story induce some anxiety. Isn't it amazing how he went from being at the bottom of a cave with only one choice left in his life, to having his story be nominated for Best Picture, with the man who played him in a movie hosting the Oscars? That is just incredible!

Awards season is now officially over, so I can start anticipating all the wonderful films that 2011 has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment