Thursday, June 23, 2011

Upcoming Events and Coming Attractions

My little blog has been feeling a little lonely.  I've started a number of blog posts, but haven't gotten them finished up in time to post before they became irrelevant. Bummer. Anyhow, we have so much coming up at the theater that I thought I'd take a minute to whip up a blog post. 

Starting tomorrow we are opening "Cars 2."  There are a lot of excited kids in town, and I can't wait to see their happy little faces in the theater.  We have filled up our schedule with private shows, which means we are in for a long, but happy, weekend. I have had a lot of parents talk to me about wanting to bring their little kids in but they're a bit nervous that the theater experience might be too overwhelming for the wee ones.  Well, we have a solution for you... if you are available Sunday at noon.  

On Sunday at noon we will be holding our first ever "Sensory-Friendly" screening of "Cars 2." Over the last year or so I have noticed other theaters holding sensory-friendly screenings, and I thought it is about time we offer the same to our customers.  At this special screening, the lights will be kept on during the show (dimmed a little), the sound will be lowered and kids will be allowed to move around and talk during the film.  During a normal showing, we expect parents to keep their kids seated and reasonably quiet. During this show, however, the rule is that  nobody gets "shushed."  Sensory-friendly screenings were originally intended for kids with Autism, but we think a sensory-friendly screening is a great opportunity for any people who become overwhelmed by the theatrical experience, like little kids who aren't quite able to sit still and quiet for 2 hours yet. If you'd like to read a good article about sensory-friendly screenings, please click here.  If you'd like to know about our sensory-friendly screening of "Cars 2," please click here.   

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" opens on Wednesday, June 29th.  We'll have a midnight show at 12:01 AM for those who want to be the first to see it.  (Remember, 12:01 AM is actually Tuesday night). Midnight shows are fun, so I'll be here with my spectacular staff serving up popcorn and drinking copious amounts of coffee. Hopefully I'll see you here, the movie should let out a little after 2:30, which will get you home in time to take a  nice nap before you have to get up for work in the morning. :)

So we're going to be busy next week. The world is very excited for Transformers, I can feel the excitement through the internets.  On Thursday night we are going to squeeze in Thursday Art Night.  We'll be showing a film called "Seraphine," which looks really intriguing.  If you happen to come in for that, make sure not to get lost. "Seraphine" will be shown in theater 2 instead of TAN's usual location, Theater 1.  We're still working out what will be shown at TAN in July, but we've got August lined out already...we'll be hosting the second annual "We Like 'Em Short" film festival.  



This year the film festival will be a 2 day event, August 19th & 20th, and it's going to be a lot of fun.  We've set aside a lot more time so that we can have a much more "festivally" festival this year.  If you or someone you know has created a short film (under 15 minutes), please consider the "We Like 'Em Short" film festival.  Details on the festival and entry form/rules are here.  I, personally, enjoyed last year's short films so much.  There was so much range-- from films made by kids, to hysterical and not-so-serious films, to professional productions.  I have to say that I was thoroughly entertained and very impressed by the talent and creativity of  our filmmakers.  

For those of you who have been wanting to see the film "Atlas Shrugged" (there are a lot of you who have been pestering me about it), I worked out a deal with the Baker City Rotary Club. They are renting the film and will be showing it on Saturday, July 9th at noon. It's a one-time-only screening, so mark your calendars. Ticket proceeds from the screening will go to Rotary for all the wonderful things they do.  

Well, that's all I have on the docket today.  We'll Have Harry Potter tickets up for sale in the very near future, and you can look forward to a midnight show for that.  We are reeeeeaaaaaallllly looking forward to HP, I couldn't believe a couple of girls on staff actually volunteered in advance to work the midnight show.  I didn't have to threaten or beg anyone!


2 comments:

  1. I'm sad I missed the kid-friendly showing of Cars 2, but we're in for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chelsea-- I just now saw your comment. (I need to set my account up for email alerts). Anyway, we actually had to cancel it at the last minute. Dan and I came down with the worst, nasty old cold, and Ellie was teething and our little family was on the brink of disaster. I am looking forward to doing a kid-friendly show soon. I'm thinking maybe Smurfs. :)

    ReplyDelete