Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Here and Now

Motherhood forced me to take a hiatus from book-reading.  After Ellie turned 6 months, we put her in her own room, she started sleeping through the night, and I was back to being a book-worm.  I quickly finished up all the books I had been reading before she was born.  Recently I made my way to the last unread book in our house, something I had started and put away at least ten times.  It is Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now."  I finally made my way through it and found that at this time in my life it actually made sense and carried some weight.  I think Tolle gets a little creative in his interpretations at points, but the basic point is to live in the moment, to seize the day. (For those who have read it, I realize this is a very simple interpretation of Tolle's philosophy). When you live in the past you are living with the fear of your past experiences. When you live in the future, you are living with a lot of anxiety about the unknown.  This is so true of my life, in particular the experience of owning and operating this crazy little theater!  I won't go into too much detail, except to say that I have been making so much more of an effort to not let my past fears paralyze me and to not freak out so much about what is to come.  I am focused on enjoying every moment, doing the best I can do right now, and to do my best to set myself up for success in the future.

So that is what we are doing.  We have a lot going on, but I'm taking it day-by-day.  We are making steady progress toward our digital transition.  A project of this magnitude is a lot for a little business like us, but we are getting there, step by step. I have stopped freaking out about it, I welcome the change. This week we met with the Oregon Energy Trust to see what kind of incentives they might be able to offer for us to improve the energy efficiency of our big, old, drafty building.  Last but not least, yesterday we launched our shiny, new website. In my opinion, it is stellar!

Not to look too far into the future, but I am definitely making some plans to sit down and watch "Midnight in Paris."  I seriously can't wait, I have heard so many pleasant reviews from friends.

Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment