Thursday, August 4, 2011

Starting 8/5

Tomorrow, Friday 8/5 we will open "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and "Midnight in Paris."
Midnight in Paris    Rise of the Planet of the Apes

I've spent a bit of time this week reading reviews online to gauge what to expect out of Apes from a business standpoint.  "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" is something of a prequel to the original 1968 "Planet of the Apes."  The things people are saying online about the film is making me really want to sit down and watch it. You might not know this, but I don't get to watch a lot of movies here at the theater because when I am here I am working, so for me to actually take time to watch a whole movie during it's theatrical run (not just bits and pieces)  is really saying something.  The interesting thing about the reviews is that people are saying that while there are things about the film that they find disappointing or not really believable, there are other factors about the film that totally make up for it and make it worth watching. It seems that at the end of almost every critical review, the poster will end with a comment like, "nevertheless, it was definitely worth watching."  Needless to say, I am intrigued.  I think I will try to sit down and watch it during the matinée tomorrow.

I've been wanting to see "Midnight in Paris" for a long time. I've been hearing such good reviews from friends and the internet that I have really been looking forward to this.  One review on IMDB described it as "a sweet, endearing and thought provoking film that will whisk you away into a sublime magical world."   It's the kind of film that has been sticking around art-houses for 7 or 8 weeks (at least my two favorite art houses that I follow on facebook).  I asked our booker about it a month ago, but figured we'd never have room for it. But we were able to sneak it in this week which is great. We will only have this film for a week, so if you want to see this, get in to see it ASAP.  (P.S. It qualifies for Tightwad Tuesday).

Enjoy, my friends, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment