Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Quiet

I've had some people come in and ask me to blog again. I thought about it. I have a ton of things to talk about, but I struggle with not wanting to say too much. I don't do movie reviews. One, because as a businessperson I can't really tell you bad things about my product-- the movies; and two, I really do enjoy most films I watch. I am not very critical. I am always utterly amazed at the creation of film and how so many people can work together to get something coherent on screen.  Even the worst of films are fascinating to me. I am amazed by film, all the time. Maybe I will start writing reviews just to tell you what I liked best. : )

But more importantly, I've been biting my nails all summer long, nervously anticipating our digital transition. I've written previously about the off seasons, and how I've come to expect booking films to be more difficult in the fall. This fall was different. We had to wait practically forever to get "The Help," and it was clear that the reason for the wait was because we aren't digital yet. There were so few 35mm prints; all the little guys were fighting over scraps. So we waited, and waited, and it felt like a miracle when we finally got it. I think I actually said "woohoo" on the phone to my booker.  And by the way, thanks a million to all of you who came to the Eltrym to see it. I know several big groups who waited for us, and I appreciate it more than you know.

Our digital transition is finally moving. Between our lenders being extremely busy (awesome for our community), our construction business being super-duper busy, and me trying to be an awesome mother to my precious babe (trying to be a SAHM during the day and a theater manager by night), it has been tough to be diligent and keep things moving along. I don't want to say too much about it. But, I did breathe a sigh of relief this week. And then I breathed in some nice, cool fall air and drank a pumpkin pie latte.

If all goes as planned your cinematic experience at the Eltrym will be greatly improved before Thanksgiving.

Hooray!!!!

(More updates to follow)

4 comments:

  1. Unfortantly I will not be going to the theatre anymore once you put in the digital projectors. Went to Onterio to see what they were like and was really annoyed with it. It was like a watching just a big screen power point presentation, film looks so much better, but Hollywood does not care really about what the public wants, and I am just some Joe Scmho, so I will be watching my films at home. But it was great having a real theatre for such a long time, sorry to see it go bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well---progress is progress---sometimes there are hiccups along the way. It was so GREAT when 'The Help' got here. My husband and I were so bummed when it didn't get here for a while---then---TAH DAH!!!!---it arrived. The part about the pie just tickled me. Sometimes revenge is a bear OR a 'chocolate' pie. THANKS so much for finally getting it here---it was well worth the wait. Now bring on 'Puss In Boots'---can hardly wait. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to see Lion King and it was all DIGITAL, just about thought it was the worst presentation of a film I ever saw in my life. Digital is not what it is cracked up to be, film is just so much better. But I thought I would give it another chance. Went to LaGrande because they have digital and watched a new movie there, don't know how they feel that it is better, it was like watching a big screen TV. Dont know how others feel but to me real film just looks better. I can watch DVD's at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, film is going away, and it is going fast. There are a lot of us who would love to keep showing film, but in the next couple of years they will stop manufacturing it (in bulk, they'll probably still strike a handful of prints, or so I hear). The choice for us is (quite literally): go digital or go out of business. I hope you'll find it in your heart to support us when there's a movie you'd like to see.

    The funny thing is, I get comments all the time from customers who assume we are showing DVD's. They are shocked and amazed that we use REAL FILM!

    ReplyDelete